PUBLIB January 1997

Hawaii: Response to M. Golrick (fwd)

Publib Poster <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 5 Jan 1997 21:30:16 -0500 (EST)

TEXT/PLAIN

Sender: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Hawaii: Response to M.  Golrick

Michael:

First, may I prevail upon you to send me your post to PUBLIB today?  I read
it and lost it while
attempting to save it to a folder.  Thanks so much!

Secondly, thank you for posting the URL for HSPLS Web Page.  You are not
entirely
correct, however, in assuming that anyone who goes there is getting both
sides of the
picture.  To begin with, they cite local news articles and letters to the
editor but don't
allow you to access the text.  I plan to post  list of references to other
sources of information
re: Hawaii/B&T soon, but meanwhile, go to DEJANEWS on the Web and search
under my
name, or LM_NET, or Hawaii Libraries.  They have carried every blessed post
 (many HITS)
going back to September that I have sent  there.  Look, especially, for
headers that refer to
"Latest Press Report"  and  to exchanges with Kelly King, Head of the Library
Committee of the
Hawaii Board of Education.  There is a LOT of history to this.   Also, you
seem to assume
that Kane's response to the budget cuts imposed by the state was reasonable
or appropriate.
That is the crux of the issue raised by the Hawaii situation, and that is why
ALA needs to
look into the details of the contract and its execution and impact on the
libraries and librarians
it was supposed to "save."   Nobody in the history of the world has tried to
do what is being
done in Hawaii.  This is outsourcing with a vengeance.  This is handing over
ALL selection
to B&T, with what turned out to be virtually no input from staff (or input
that was ignored).
This is handing over ALL cataloging to B&T and making it impossible for any
local staff
to catalog, so that  gifts cannot go out on the shelves, since they did not
come from B&T.
And this is for the next 5 years!  With no contract for objective evaluation.
 The contract
(which I am in the process of obtaining/  half obtained already) is poorly
wrought, with
little built in accountability for diversity, quality, or local needs.  ALL
B&T purchases get
reimbursed @ approximately $20 bucks a pop, even if it is a $3 paperback.  If
 you  read
ALL  that I have made available on LM_NET via DEJANEWS, you will find
evidence that
so far this contract as executed is having a very deleterious effect on the
quality of
collections in Hawaii's Public State Libraries and that it has wasted
Thousands of  those
precious dollar via duplicates, unwanted selections, poorly prepared
materials,..........
not to mention the fact that  the staff  in the system went from a very high
energy, cooperative
group, to an exhausted, discouraged, intimidated group of workers.   Now, is
all of this
inevitable?  Were there alternatives?  Is this the precedent that we want all
the other
libraries out there facing budget cuts and looking for ways to cut costs to
follow?
To be sure, this arrangement cries out for a high quality, objective,
academic evaluation
which takes into account its impact on the whole library system in Hawaii and
all of its
parts and which takes into account, also, the ability of library staff to
remain true to what
they, following ALA's fine leadership, conceive of as their professional
ethic.  Any solution
to budget cuts that decimates service and professionalism is a crazy-making
solution,
as we can see already from the distress being experienced by the library
staff!